We are a non-profit organization run by volunteers who share the passion for trap and skeet competitions. Over the years, our board of directors has donated countless hours to build and maintain the facilities and events we all enjoy today. The Pocatello Trap Club is home to the Annual Appreciation Gun Shoot. During this 4-day mid-August event, quality bolt action rifles or shotguns are given away to draw-score winners for each event. Come shoot on one of our twelve championship traps and enjoy the shooting experience our club has to offer. Stop by the kitchen during one of our events and enjoy a meal in the comfort of our air-conditioned clubhouse.
The Pocatello Trapshooting Club was first incorporated at a meeting of the club members on June 6th, 1924. J.W. Meyers was asked to be chairman and A.B. Bean the secretary. The following were elected as directors: Charles W. Summers, W.C. Tatro, R.O. Graham, C.F. York, and I.M. Steger. The club started with a single trap house on a sagebrush covered parcel of ground east of Jefferson Street. This is where the Greenacres School is currently located. The club didn't have a clubhouse at the time so shooters were forced to take cover in their vehicles when inclement weather passed through.
In about 1930, the club moved south of town across from the golf and country club. It was at this location that they built their first clubhouse. It was a log structure measuring approximately 860 square feet with a full basement. It was in that basement that the Zweigart family served a complimentary hot dog lunch, with a bottle of soda or coffee, to all that attended the annual Thanksgiving and Christmas fun shoots. These events would draw participants looking to win one of the more than 200 turkeys given away as prizes for shooting events as well as buying a spot on a splatter board.
It was after WW II that the club moved west of town to the vacated Pocatello Airport grounds just across the frontage road from the former FMC site. The club enjoyed many years there while hosting several large registered shoots. The club made its final move to its current location on the grounds of the Pocatello Army Air Base know today as the Pocatello Municipal Airport. Once again, a club house approximately the size of the south Pocatello location was built along with the first 4 trap houses. This time it was a single story structure that had an office, a restroom and provisions for future expansion. With the sport continuing to grow, the need for a larger clubhouse, additional traps, and a camping area was unavoidable. In the early 80's the building was expanded, giving the club a 2800 square foot clubhouse. This new addition added a full kitchen, a large dining room, more bathrooms, a storage room and a new office location. Along with the clubhouse expansion came the addition of 5 more trap houses and the beginning of the now 83 space camping area. In the mid 90's, the club again expanded its facilities to include a new covered patio area, 4 more traps, and a skeet range.
The facilities you see today are the results of many dedicated and hard working individuals that share the love of trap shooting. Because of this dedication we get to enjoy one of Idaho's best shooting facilities right here in our own backyard. The Pocatello Trap Club has recently been host to both the Pacific International Trap Association and the Amateur Trap Shooting Association's state shoots.
The club is open year around on Sundays from 1 PM until dusk. Check out our events page for upcoming shoots.